Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Skeletons Get a Bad Rap

I enjoy monsters of every sort but I have a great fondness for skeletons. It’s not like I go creeping around digging up graves stealing bones. I imagine they look rather lovely left in their pretty boxes. When I look at a cemetery (I call them ‘boneyards’), I don’t see the headstones, sepulchers, or the plastic flowers. What I see is what’s underneath. I can see wooden boxes with bones dressed in frilly gowns and fine suits.

How much do I like skeletons you may ask? I doodle skeletons in notebooks. An entire folio is dedicated to skeletons on my Pinterest page. Vintage skeleton masks, pictures, books and so many knickknacks of my boney friends can be found in my writing nook. My very best friends know what kind of gifts to give me for holidays. Instead of my children drawing me pictures of sunsets, they draw me skeletons coming out of sunsets. My children love to pick me wild flowers but they get extra excited when they find me jaw bones and skulls from little critters. Heck, skeletons even come to me in my dreams!

What I find appealing about skeletons is that one day we will be one, (well, besides those who are cremated, in which case they become bone dust, which is still bone). A skeleton is a monster we cannot avoid becoming. It will happen. We will be monsters! What a comforting thought that is to me. ;)

My skeleton will be very short, like a child’s. My skull will be tiny, like a little bouncy ball. I’ll still have that missing tooth which makes me unique. I wonder if my knuckles will still be big from popping them as a kid? I kind of hope so.

Around one’s bones lay what makes us; our veins, brains and organs. Take away all the squishy stuff and we all look pretty much the same. When I see bones, or, think about them in boneyards, I wonder who that person was. Their feet learned to walk. Their boney hands held another’s. Inside their skulls carried all kinds of memories. They were once like me and you.

So the next time you pass a skeleton on the street, maybe you should stop and say, “Hello, brother”. Remember they were just like you once and the day will come when you will join their club. Embrace our skeleton friends for they do get a bad rap.

Art work done by one of my daughters: Bella Filetti

8 comments:

  1. The girl seems intrigued but the guy looks kinda worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, this fellow skeleton is smitten by only one & it is not guy's girl. :)

      Delete
  2. I've always loved the monsters too. I never thought about skeletons that way but it is true. And the art work is really good. Creativity must have been passed down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thanks Krista :) Bella is always surprising me with pictures of my characters. She's such a amazing little girl.

      Delete
  3. Why are we afraid to see the stuff we're made of? To see our own mortality? I guess it depends on if one thinks that this is all there is. But you're right. if we all had "skeletal" thoughts maybe there wouldn't be any prejudice. Like you said, we're all the same underneath. That's for a unique post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much CJ for your message! Oh, if man could get over prejudices maybe the monsters wouldn't be so scared of us! :)

      Delete
  4. Said like a true bonentrepreneu. I enjoyed all youhad to say, and have no bones to pick. An enjoyable, bonified winner of a blog.
    PS: Why do I keep thinking of Napoleon Bone-aparte?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I like the thought of a Napoleon Bone-aparte! How fun! :) Thanks, Johnny for your fun message! Now won't you play a tune on your TromBONE? Hehehehe...

      Delete