Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Letting My Monster Go


When a story has your agent’s final mark of approval, there isn’t a word to describe how wonderful it makes you feel. It’s done! Completed! YAY!!! It’s ready for that next step toward publication. At least that’s the way I thought I should feel. I asked a few other authors their feelings on finishing novels because I was very confused with mine. Most I talked to celebrated. They felt proud, relieved and were ready to move on to the next story. I, on the other hand, felt a little sad.

Benjamin Bohns came to me in a dream. He showed his face to me. I was the only one who knew him. I was honored that he picked me to tell his story. Me! A little house wife who lives in the Appalachia Mountains. Me! The world’s worst speller. I often asked, what did he see in me? He must have seen something because for years he was my friend. For years he let me in on his secret life and opened up to only me. For years, I secretly snuck away to my little corner and stayed up late with him while my husband slept on. For years, I got up early typing away…click, click, click…following his lead.

I've never experienced the sadness of sending a child away to college or to be married, etc. but I think I got a taste of that feeling when I knew Mr. Bohns’s story was finished. Like most children, they’re ready to leave and move on but most moms aren't quite ready to let their babies go. Mr. Benjamin Bohns is thrilled with what I’ve done and now he can live on even though he’s dead. I nurtured him well and gave him experiences to help him grow into a fine and proud skeleton. I know he loves me. That is way he’s pushing me to write again.

I guess in Dreadville Mr. Bohns has been pretty busy talking about what I did for him. As I start Dreadville’s next adventure, it’s amazing how many other monsters are waiting for their tale to be told. Who would you like to hear about next?

1.) The Blue Lady and Her Bleeding Hearts

2.) The Frog-Faced Bureaucrat and His Motor Bike Adventure

3.) The Pumpkin Fellow and His Tic-Toc Clock Shop

4.) The Red Devil and His Broken Tail

5.) Licorice Larry and His Man Eating Ice Cream Shopp

6.) ALL THE ABOVE

16 comments:

  1. Aw! i loved this post, mom! Its amazing all the things that you have done to get this far. I cant wait to hear the endless (but awesome!) story and revisions of #4, the Red Devil and His Broken Tail:).

    P.s. <3 the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Congratulations! I'm think I'm most intrigued by The Red Devil and His Broken Tail, but I'm looking forward to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I be a little different and pick both The Blue Lady and Her Bleeding Hearts and Licorice Larry and His Man Eating Ice Cream Shopp. Perhaps I have a thing for alliteration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    Emma & Skooter, great choice! Like cats, devils are also pretty proud of their tails. Take that away & well...stay tuned! :)

    Schultz Family, you can't go wrong with The Blue Lady & Licorice Larry! Goodness, two opposites but they each have a story that might make you cringe a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to reading about Mr. Bohns. I am thoroughly interested in hearing about Licorice Larry though. He sounds like quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, I am interested in the Frog-Faced Bureaucrat.

    I love the emotion you bring to your writing, even in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wondered about the Blue Lady. Bring her to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative! I'm going to say #6 - All of the above sound intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well if you are too sad to be excited then I will be double excited for you!! Wooo hooo!!! I can't wait to read this and tell all my friend about it too!! In the mean time I think you better get busy on The Blue Lady and Her Bleeding Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to agree with Jennifer...all of the above.
    But, if I must pick one it would have to be the Blue Lady and Her Bleeding Hearts. Sounds intriguing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My life has changed since meeting Mr. Bohns. Any chance you and I are in love with the same fellow? Oh, wait...he belongs so someone else. I'll just admire him from afar. He has, however, changed my outlook! That's all your doing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys are the best! Thanks for all the votes! Keep them coming!! The Blue Lady is pulling ahead:)

    Terrie...we'll both admire him from afar...*sniff*. Thanks for all you've done for him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I have to admit I love hanging out with characters. I would love to read about The Blue Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post, Carrie - Benny is now waiting to tell me his story, so the adventure continues - we shall endeavour to provide the best visual aesthetic to the tale;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Carrie I can hardly wait to read all of the next stories. "They" say that Dickens is the master of description, but I think you are every bit as good. I totally get a visual of your characters. I hope your illustrator can do them justice. These are wonderful characters. How could one not just love Benjamin? So I am excited to learn of all the other monsters that come out of your head. Good going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Rebecca! Another vote for Blue Lady!

    Jesse...I think Mr. Bohns has left my dreams & enter yours. I know you will capture him perfectly & I can't wait to see him on paper, but I do miss him terribly. I hope you will enjoy him as much I did. Please take care of him for me.

    Mom...you compared me to Dickens? If you lived closer I could hug you! I couldn't have gotten this far without your constant support. Thank you for believing in me. There is a long line of monsters, so get ready for lots of proof reading!;)

    ReplyDelete